Wild Calendula (Calendula officinalis) Apple Bake
A great treat for desert or breakfast - this is my own creation.
- 3 apples sliced (or pears)
- handful of fresh calendula flowers
- the petals over the apples
- 1/4 cup of rice syrup (or maple syrup)
- 4 tbsp of butter or ghee
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of nutmeg
- 2 free running organic chicken eggs
- 1/2 cup of silk soy cream (regular soy or almond milk works fine too but the coffee cream is a little richer and thicker. Organic milk can also be used)
1.) Place the apples in a baking pan. Remove the calendula petals from the flower bud and sprinkle over apples.
2.) Melt rice syrup (or maple syrup) and butter (or ghee) together in a sauce pan. Stir constantly.
3.) Add 1 tsp. each of cinnamon and nutmeg.
4.) Using a fork or whisk, blend the eggs and milk until frothy. Mix in the rice syrup mixture into the eggs and milk. Whisk this for a minute.
5.) Pour the mixture over the calendula and apples. Sprinkle a little more cinnamon and nutmeg on top and then bake for about 7-10 min @ 350 F. The apples should be soft and the egg mixture should result in a custard texture.
6.) Put a couple whole calendula flowers on top for presentation (YES, you can eat the buds too!) Enjoy!